Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Electric Power Education Evaluation

When a credited agency evaluated my education credentials, my bachelor degree in electrical engineering was assessed as an equivalent of a US degree in electrical engineering. My Master of Engineering degree was not evaluated as an advanced degree above the undergraduate level, it was likewise assessed as another bachelor degree equivalent in the US.

Looking back, I went to that master’s program due to a requirement of the higher education agency in the Philippines which encourage college instructors to acquire advanced degrees. As wanting to fulfill a requirement, I enrolled where the program might be easy and might be cheap in terms of fees. So, after three years, I got the degree.

I wasn’t thinking of where I could use the advanced degree further. I did not envision going abroad and using the degree but perhaps I should have look at all angles.

Why? Almost the same effort will be poured into a degree that might be easy or relatively hard. When I was employed at TRANSCO, I decided to go to the state university for further studies. They admitted me for another master’s program but later I requested to be admitted in the PhD level which the department approved. As far as I can remember, the same effort I gave into the master’s studies was almost the same amount I gave to the PhD studies. As long as you got the theory, practice plus books and internet, you got the edge.

So here are my points.

For students planning to take advanced degree after your undergraduate level, enroll in an institution where they give you the advanced education you deserve. Do not go for mediocrity. Do not allow yourself to fulfill a requirement. Require yourself to advance. Look into the curriculum before you enroll; is it a replay of your BS or a notch higher than your BS? In any case, you will put effort. Better to put effort into what is worthy.  Compare the curriculum with US curriculums, are they parallel? No, I’m not saying you are going abroad, what I’m telling you is that you must know what a graduate student in the US must know. Be at par with the world.

For institutions offering advanced degrees, be sure to offer advanced degrees. Forward yourself by moving your student forward.  Do not give them what they already know. Do not teach them what they can teach you. Don’t let them do all the work in one semester and give them credit which is equivalent to what they have already achieved. You can do better by pushing your student to do better. If you are offering an electric power advanced degree, consider to offer the following:

·         Power System Stability
·         Power System Analysis
·         Power System Protection
·         Power System Reliability
·         Electricity Markets
·         Electricity Regulation and Laws
·         Information and Communication in Power Systems
·         Distribution System Analysis
·         Power System Operation and Control
·         Power System Planning
·         Power System Economics and Rates

No, I did not waste my time in my master’s degree. However, I believe I can do better. We can do better.

No comments: